This is a historic building previously owned by George Marston, who is renown as the father of Balboa Park.
Architectural design was by the Reid Brothers, who also designed Hotel del Coronado. The architectural style is known as Italian Renaissance Revival. Inside contains high ceilings, a wrought iron elevator, and on the upper floors a central atrium.
Built in 1896, the Marston Building sold merchandise including housewares, apparel, wallpaper, carpeting, gifts, and many other useful and beautiful items. The local newspaper characterized the store as "San Diego's finest store".
Marston was a philanthropist who donated Balboa Park, which is the largest urban park in town and contains 17 museums, 17 gardens, theatres, international cottages, sports activities, and the zoo.
Pardon the reconstruction. We look forward to the upcoming new tenant in the retail space.