GRAINS: especially whole grains
enriched ("refined") grains such as white flour/rice remove outer surface (bran contains most of the fiber and some protein) and are not whole
- satiates (natural appetite suppressant fulfills hunger)
- mechanically rejuvenates gut (soluble fiber: soft brush, insoluble fiber: hard scrub)
- binds to and removes intestinal fat and extra calories
INFANTS: HUMAN BREAST MILK
exclusively during the first 6 months of life benefits both infant and mother
- Contributes to inflammation/atherosclerosis, adipose (fat) cells produce estrogen (may contribute to hormone sensitive cancers)
- Limit Process Meat
including sausage, hot dogs, salami, bologna, bacon, ham, ground meat
- Limit Red Meat
mammalian muscle: beef, veal, pork, lamb, horse, goat
- Limit Trans Fats
hydrogenated vegetables oils or animal products
including margarine, shortening, pastries such as doughnuts, cakes, cookies, croissants, muffins, pies, foods fried in high heat and/or reused oil including potatoes such as French fries, snacks such as potato chips, corn chips, microwave popcorn, breakfast cereals, candy
- Limit butter, cheese, ice cream, sour cream, mayonnaise, certain oils (including coconut oil, palm oil, soybean oil, corn oil, sunflower oil), chicken fat, egg yolk, condiments (including gravy and creamy salad dressing), nut butters with hydrogenated oils, white/milk chocolate
- Limit sugar-sweetened beverages such as soda/lemonade, sweets (including pastries, cookies, candies), alcohol (alcohol also converts to fats)., and many cereals.
- Limit salt to 2300mg (~1 teaspoon) daily. Consider flavoring with herbs, spices, garlic, and ginger.
- Limit alcohol: none is healthier. (max: women 1 drink per 24 hours, men 2 drinks per 24 hours), carcinogenic
LIMIT PROCESSED FOODS
- Processed Foods remove fiber. Eating out and packaged foods often contain added fats, sugars, and salt.
LIMIT SUPPLEMENTS- Synthetic (processed) vitamins and minerals are not routinely recommended because they may compete with preferred natural sources, may have additives that are not as healthy, and overdose may cause toxicity. Discuss with doctor.
Added oils/fats are "empty calories" high in calories, but not high in nutrients. The following are all equivalent in calories.
"Ultra Processed Food [UPF] is the enemy."
is better than apple sauce
is better than apple juice
is better than apple pie.
~ Robert Lustig, MD, Endocrinologist, author of Metabolic